Wednesday, November 14, 2012

WSUS Installation on Windows Server 2012 Failed

I was trying to install Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) on a fresh Windows Server 2012. I wasn't expecting any errors, as it was built on a fresh installation. To my surprise, the error prompted "Fatal Error: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service" when the installation was supposed to be completing. So far,  it wasn't a pleasant experience on deploying the new WS8, as there were minor annoying bugs around. When a service wasn't running properly, you'll probably do better to uninstall and install the same service again, especially for in place OS upgrade.

I did the same trick again but the problem still persisted. When I opened the temp log file, I saw

2012-11-14 11:25:12  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
2012-11-14 11:25:12  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
Fatal Error: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service

It must have to do with the IIS service. I checked the service and it was running fine. Restarting IIS service won't help either. On the IIS manager console, I stopped and deleted the "WSUS Administration" site. Re-start WSUS installation service process. Finally, the installation is complete!

Tips: In Windows Server 2008, TCP port 80 is used by default. In Windows Server 2012, TCP 8530 is used for HTTP and TCP 8531 for HTTPS. Be sure to enable the necessary firewall ports and direct WSUS clients to the correct ports e.g. http://wsus-server:8530 for http update

24 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
    This finally did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. office 2013 key sale , windows 7 enterprise and ultimate product key , publisher 2007 cd key doesn't work , buy upgrade windows 8 pro geniune key store , cheap office 2016 series key , free product key for windows 7 ultimate , windows 7 key , windows storage server basic 2008 trial key , lahXnQ

      buy office 2016 product key

      windows server 2012 r2 free

      rosetta stone french key sale

      Delete
  2. This also fixed my issue. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that was the right solution

    ReplyDelete
  4. СПАСИБО!ЗАРАБОТАЛО!(Thanks!!! It's workinkg!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say thank you! Worked like a charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fixed my problem.
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fixed my problem.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this. Removing the WSUS Administration site and then running the Post-Installation Process resolved the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted the reply above but after further research I think there is a better fix. It seems the problem is that the services WSUS uses to install itself, run its services, and install the Windows Internal Database are, by default, not members of the 'Log on as a service' Group Policy setting. To add the necessary users to this group policy setting follow these steps:

    In Group Policy Management
    Edit Default Domain controllers policy
    Open Policies, Windows settings, Security Settings, Local Policy, User Rights Assignment
    Edit "Log on As a Service" and check the "Define these policy settings"

    Add the following users:
    (yourDomain)\IIS_WPG
    NETWORK
    NETWORK SERVICE
    SERVICE

    Next update group policy on the server you intend to install WSUS on: gpupdate/force
    Now try to install the WSUS Role and you should not encounter any errors.

    There are several articles including this one from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2832204) that state you can add "NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES' but on my Windows 2012 (not R2) Standard Domain Controller, where I modified the Default Domain Policy, I did not have this as an option. I instead added the individual accounts as listed above (yourDomain)\IIS_WPG, NETWORK, NETWORK SERVICE, SERVICE).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A better solution. I had this same problem and had a big problem with having to delete the admin web site as a solution. If you go to the advanced settings of the Wsus Admin web site and expand the Limits section. Max Connections may be set to 0. Set this to something like....100 and it will fix the issue. Fixed it for me and didn't have to nuke the web page.

      Delete
  10. Wow. Great post. Issue Resolve for me too. Thaaaaaanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is brilliant. I struggled for two days straight. Very good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry but it doesnt work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phew now I can breathe easy...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you worked for me also

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks!! As of 2015-09-04 this issue popped up in Windows 2012 R2 for me, removing the WSUS Admin worked!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never comment ever, but you saved my bacon and I wanted to thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic...good one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was my solution as well on Windows 2012 R2. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you very much.It's work fine.
    有難うございました。

    ReplyDelete
  21. thats works for me too on Server 2016, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete