Sunday, June 3, 2012

BIOS upgrade using bootable USB to DOS

Recently, I bought a new Acer Aspire 5560G notebook. It came with Win7 home premium. I wanted to start installing the new MS SQL 2012 on some Virtual Machine. Since VMWare is no longer giving away free VMWare workstation, the natural choice is for me to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on it that comes with free Hyper-V. 

Upon successful installation of the new OS, I noticed that rebooting and shutting down of this new notebook is not seamless. I've to press down the power button in order for it to shutdown completely. I thought it's the BIOS error and downloaded the latest BIOS update. Only then, I realised that the update can only be run on DOS mode. Hey, it's not Win98 and the newer MS OSes no longer come with DOS! (MS now has something called WinPE but it's still not DOS)

After searching the Internet high and low, I came across this good article that shared how to boot the machine into DOS using USB stick. It requires a free simple HP utility called "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool". After formatting the USB stick with MS DOS system files, I copied the BIOS update DOS utilities. 

Rebooting the notebook using the USB stick, I've finally managed to upgrade the BIOS firmware. It's still couldn't solve the shutting down problem but at least I know of this easy-to-use method to boot any machine into DOS mode quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment